header logo

Toolbar

Friday, November 9, 2012

Know your heart

Know your heart!
With the holiday season fast approaching - there's snow in Reno and I think that makes the holiday season official - I find myself preparing for my family's Thanksgiving feast, but ever since I started working on the Stitch Red campaign I seem to be hyper-sensitive to thinking about the food I eat and making sure I'm getting the right exercise. That said, I had no trick-or-treaters this Halloween and am now stuck with two bags of my chocolate-y favorites. After munching on one too many fun size snacks I decided to cleverly hide the goods at the top of my above sink cabinet that is only accessible with the use of a step ladder. I digress, 'tis the season for comfort food and the gals of Jimmy Beans are not opposed to the feasts awaiting each of us; however, Shape magazine did remind us of the typical - and not so typical - signs of a heart attack.

I'm thankful for good health and the good health of all my loved ones, but my heart-healthy goal is to be more aware and listen to my body. Surprisingly, the Heart Foundation reported that 435,000 women experience heart attacks each year. While women are more aware than ever, we'd like to see that number drop, so we figured (as did Shape magazine) that now is as good a time as any for a refresher. You know you're having a heart attack when you experience...

1. Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness, or pain in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes or goes away and comes back.

2. Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw, or stomach.

3. Toothache (this one took us by surprise!)

4. Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.

5. Cold sweat

6. Nausea

7. Lightheadedness

8. Overwhelming, sudden fatigue 

Be aware, but enjoy your Thanksgiving feast and be thankful for all the beauty in your life. 

-Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment